Kartemquin operates with a core of administrative staff supporting a network of independent filmmakers and program alumni. We're a united community passionate about the way we produce social issue documentaries.
We are happy to meet talented new people who share our vision and can enhance our team. Please email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. You may also want to learn more about how we work.
If you are an emerging filmmaker, the best way to join the Kartemquin community is through our internship program. It is open to graduates within two years of completing their course, and is structured to allow you to develop into becoming a working filmmaker. Former interns are usually our first choice as future collaborators and employees. Apply here. If you are a filmmaker of color with more experience, please look at our Diverse Voices in Docs program, our annual producer mentorship program.
Kartemquin Educational Films is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity among our board, staff, filmmakers, and interns. We recruit, hire, train and promote without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or any other protected status.
CURRENT JOB LISTINGS
Job Title: Programs and Engagement Manager
Supervised by: Executive Director
Status: Full Time, evening and weekend availability required
Hourly or Salary: Salary
Exempt or Nonexempt: Exempt
Approximate Hours per Week: 40
Rate: Commensurate with experience
Renowned media arts non-profit seeks an easygoing self-starter to join a passionate, hardworking team in support of our diverse community of documentary filmmakers. Successful candidates will have demonstrated problem-solving and communication skills, as well as the ability to prioritize and see the big picture in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. Enjoy a flexible schedule in a relaxed setting as part of a creative office team with big–thinking people who care about our impact within the film community and the world. Learn more about our mission: www.kartemquin.com
- Manage Kartemquin’s filmmaker development programs: Diverse Voices in Docs, KTQ Labs, the KTQ Internship, and KTQ in the Classroom.
- Working with the Executive Director, refine current and develop future programs and initiatives to strengthen, diversify, and connect Kartemquin’s growing filmmaker community.
- Develop program budgets and monitor expenses.
- Working with the Development team, develop program language to be used in fundraising materials.
- Develop and execute promotional strategies for Internship, KTQ Labs, Diverse Voices in Docs programs, as appropriate within Kartemquin’s overall communications strategies.
- Support Development team in writing narrative component of grants related to programs he/she manages to raise funds for program initiatives.
- Work with Distribution Director and Filmmakers to develop and implement KTQ’s involvement with individual film engagement campaigns.
- Develop operational models for the organization to provide consistent, high quality outreach advice, support, and evaluation methods to filmmakers.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest trends in impact producing and community engagement for documentary films and social issue media.
- Actively seek and participate in training and workshops to educate and inform ways to further improve all existing and potential filmmaker development programs.
- Manage schedule of weekly two hour educational workshops in which members of Kartemquin’s documentary community provide advice to current interns.
- Manage the hiring process in terms of screening resumes, scheduling interviews with inclusion of staff members, and selection of finalists.
- Responsible for upholding relationships between universities and the organization.
- Supervise the work of the interns, provide Basecamp training to producers and their teams who are essentially responsible for managing their projects for interns.
- Check in with interns daily and manage their schedules.
- Provide staff and filmmaker support with interns and problem solving their assignments and workload.
- Provide and document individual mid-term check ins, as well as an exit interview and survey.
- Track professional development and careers of alumni.
- Proactively seek films and filmmakers to screen within the program.
- Manage filmmaker submissions and queries, scheduling of screenings, invitations to KTQ associates, targeted expansion of feedback community.
- Research new engagement partnership opportunities.
- Track and organize current outreach arrangements for several current and past documentary films.
- Manage outreach contracts and relationships with filmmakers, staff, and distributors.
- Analyze past campaigns and help generate project engagement reports for the organization.
- Organize and develop quarterly informational meetings between the films outreach coordinators and associate producers which provide resources to move their campaigns forward.
- Provide individual project consulting when necessary for new outreach coordinators and associate producers to help them anticipate their projects’ needs and set expectations.
- Create necessary reports using Excel or other tools.
- Coordinate and act as host for educational site visits and tours for educational groups and when necessary, general visitors.
- Present programs on Kartemquin work, mission, history, and ethical views on filmmaking.
- Conceive and pitch panels featuring Kartemquin filmmakers/staff to various conferences, liaise with conferences on logistics and promotion.
- Previous nonprofit programs experience is required.
- Experience with documentary film impact producing and community engagement.
- Excellent critical thinking, communications and problem-solving skills required.
- Detail-oriented, good work ethic and excellent communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to work nights and weekends if necessary with week day flexibility.
- Ability to learn quickly and self-motivate.
Outreach and Engagement
To apply: Please submit your cover letter, with salary requirements, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “Programs and Engagement Manager” in the subject line. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. No phone calls, please. We regret that due to the large number of applications we receive, we can only respond personally to the applicants who best meet our needs for this position.
When you make a contribution to Kartemquin, you enable us to continue telling the stories of the people whose lives are most directly affected by social and political change and who are often overlooked or misrepresented by the media. Thanks to your crucial support, for over 50 years our films have helped to provoke essential dialogue, both in communities and between the general public and policymakers.
With a noted tradition of nurturing emerging talent and acting as a leading voice for independent media, Kartemquin is building on more than 50 years of history as Chicago’s documentary powerhouse.
Kartemquin is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. Guidestar
© 2018 Kartemquin Educational Films
Sign up for the Kartemquin newsletter
Get film updates and special deals