The 2016 Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival begins this week, with Steve James being honored as the 2016 Hot Docs Outstanding Career Achievement Award Winner.
Steve James will be present in Toronto for a retrospective of six of his acclaimed Kartemquin documentaries: Hoop Dreams (1994); Stevie (2002); At The Death House Door (2008); No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson (2010); The Interrupters (2011); and Life Itself (2014).
In an excellent new interview with Realscreen's Manori Ravindran, Steve James offers several tips for emerging documentary filmmakers, and critical assessments of his own career and the current state of the industry. He also states: “One of the things Kartemquin provides is it’s truly a community of filmmakers. And I think filmmakers at any stage of their career – but it’s especially crucial when you’re starting out – [need] a community there that can support you, guide you, give you honest feedback and challenge you to be better.”
Also screening in the festival's Redux program will be a double-bill of our classic documentaries Inquiring Nuns (1968) and The Chicago Maternity Center Story (1976). Kartemquin's artistic director Gordon Quinn and Director of Communications and Distribution Tim Horsburgh will attend the screening, which honors Kartemquin's 50th Anniversary, on May 4th at 5:30pm.
Also included at North America's largest documentary festival are our in-progress films Eating up Easter, directed by Sergio Rapu, which will be pitching in the prestigious Hot Docs Forum, and director Kelly Richmond Pope's All the Queen's Horses, which will be attending as part of Hot Docs Deal Maker.
Kartemquin at Hot Docs 2016 (click titles for ticket link)
- The Interrupters: 29/04/2016 12:30 PM Hart House
- No Crossover: 04/05/2016 12:30 PM Scotia 7
- Eating Up Easter pitching in Hot Docs Forum and All the Queen's Horses pitching in Hot Docs Deal Maker 04/04/2016 - 04/05/2016 (for All Access Pass holders only)
- Inquiring Nuns and The Chicago Maternity Center Story: 04/05/2016 5:30 PM Innis Town Hall
- Life Itself: 05/05/2016 3:00 PM Lightbox 1
- Hoop Dreams: 06/05/2016 10:00 AM Bloor (Docs for Schools Screening)
- Hoop Dreams: 07/05/2016 12:30 PM Lightbox 2
- Stevie: 08/05/2016 12:30 PM Lightbox 4
- At the Death House Door 08/05/2016 5:30 PM Scotia 7
With a noted tradition of nurturing emerging talent and acting as a leading voice for independent media, Kartemquin is building on more than 45 years of history as Chicago’s documentary powerhouse.
Kartemquin is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. Guidestar
© 2017 Kartemquin Educational Films
Sign up for the Kartemquin newsletter
Get film updates and special deals